Sunday, January 27, 2008

To Blog or Not To Blog

Blogging is very new for me. I've always read about blogs in Cosmo Magazine and heard about them from other people, but never felt the need to broadcast my daily life and ponderings for the entire world to read. It's a concept that has never appealed to me, but to millions and millions of people-it works.

I see blogs as a dairy or journal. Many people keep journals of the day's events, worries and hopes for the future in a small little book they keep beside their beds. They might even write down dreams they had the night before or their thoughts about the latest presidential election. The difference between journals and blogs, however, is that blogs are flung out into cyberspace with the click of a button. Then, anyone with access to a computer or cell phone are able to access your habits, thoughts, and dreams.

Why publish these personal ideas for anyone? I think it is because no one wants to feel like they are alone; the only one going through what they are. They need someone else, regardless if they live in a differnt town, state, or continent, to verify their own thoughts and actions. Do people feel similar? Does someone really understand what i've been going through? Bloggers are all looking for the same thing; someone to care enought to read their posts and respond with their own.

For me, blogging is not something I will continue. I'd rather keep my tiny blue journal by my bed and choose who I share them with. But for all those bloggers out there...blog on...blog on

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Agreed. It seems silly and almost a little dangerous to blog your personal thoughts and feelings and have them be shown to the world at the click of a mouse.

However, food-for-thought... I met with a private Career Consultant (friend of the fam) and she encouraged me to do extensive research on all of the companies I am considering working for. She said one of the best things to do is look at blogs that discuss the company - what happens inside? do they treat their employees well? what do they have going on in the community? what kind of relationships do they have with partner companies? All these things are ideal subjects for a blog posting. Where else would people have the opportunity to discuss these issues? For these sorts of things, I think blogs are pretty much invaluable.

Jessica said...

just testing fo cocomment

Evan said...

test