Friday, February 1, 2008

This is a job for all the lonely people

I think that Crowdsourcing is a neat idea...in theory.

It is nice to think that crowdsourcing gives people the chance to earn money and occupy their tie by doing tasks that need human processing skills to complete. I think about the elderly that aren't physically able anymore, but their minds are collecting cobwebs with the forced inactivty. With crowdsourding they are able to look at websites and find duplicates and keep their minds active. They are able to earn a little bit of money (a handful of cents per find) for their efforts.

Crowdsourcing does not seem to be a great source of income and seems almost too much work for the little pay. It's scary to think that these could be used as sole sources of income. I don't think this would really become a reality because the Crowdsouce-er would have to already own or have access to a computer and the internet. So poor families, imigrants, and kids can't only rely on crowdsourcing as a steady flow of income.

I really like the idea of crowdsourcing as a hobby or a past time. Not as a real/only job.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I don't think you could pay me to crowdsource but then I thought about it and how many times do we sit on the computer for endless amounts of time and stare at nothing. Imagine getting paid for it. There was this program when I was younger where you could sit on the computer and click on advertisements and somehow they sent you a check in the mail. I think every 10 ads you clicked you got a nickel, or it went by minutes I forget. I was too afraid that it was terribly illegal and didn't do it for long. My friend however did receive a check for 10 dollars after a month of doing it, we were all impressed.

Abdul said...

I agree with you, Steph. I wouldn't consider it as a main source of income but rather a supplemental source, especially for people in developing countries whose jobs don't pay that well.

It's always better than sitting inactive doing nothing.