Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Some Generated Content from a User

"User Generated Content" what is that? Some sort of risque XXX rated material? I had no idea what to think of this week's reading assignments except to be slightly excited. "Oooh, it's like Wikipedia and all those sites anyone can update...buzz kill". Still, user generated content is a very new and interesting topic. We're not sure how it is exactly it will affect us, but we know it already has.

I was a late bloomer in the wikipedia world. I'd heard peope talk about it, but we were never formally introduced until I came to college. In one class, two of my friends were talking about how they changed the definition of a word to be their friend's name. This lasted for about a nanosecond and a half before someone in Japan changed it back. But this made me think...can we really change the facts on the internet? Can a few people change the facts? Ever since then i've been wary of sites that allow changes, but after these readings i understand that they can be very useful to the website and the rest of us.

Even though some people have a problem with the exact term "User Generated Content" (get over it) I think it's a really interesting idea. Obviously Wikipedia and YouTube have been very sucessful in getting and maintaining users. Others, like Current TV are struggling to gain and keep viewers. The YouTube is. CurrentTV might be a simple fact that people don't like to watch certain clips and want the power to move on to the next one. Overall though, why do some user genertaed sites do much better than others? Your guess is as good as mine...for the time being, I might need to change that statement later on.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love wikipedia and on boring, long days at work I can totally lose myself on it.

Ever heard of a Turducken? Look it up... oddest thing ever.

Evan said...

There was a great episode of The Colbert Report that focused on Wikipedia. This article describes how Wikipedia prevented Colbert and his viewers from changing the facts.

Abdul said...

Wikipedia is a very handy website. I don't know why it's not a very accepted source here in AU. We use it all the time in KU (Kuwait University). Well, not all the time; but almost every paper will have at least one reference to Wikipedia, in some way or another.

I heard that it's even more comprehensive, current, and -as many people told me- more accurate than its Encarta equivalent.

Brian said...

It seems youtube was one of those first movers of the internet. My friend who first sent it to me awhile back it was a total different set up and actually had pretty inappropriate material (which is why he sent it to me.) Wikipedia is fast but i don't feel it gives me as much detail as a book would but that is sometimes needed. If im bored its youtube that keeps me distracted.