Sunday, April 13, 2008

Where You At?

Where You At? Boost Mobile's catch phrase can sum up over half of the phone conversations I have. Back in middle school and high school I would spend hours upon hours of time talking to people (mostly boys) on my house phone and later my cell phone. Now, I use my phone for txting people and to simply call them and find out where they are. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just use your phone to find out where all your friends are at? That was the premise of Boost Mobile's introduct of the Loopt Phone, where you could find out where your friends are at.



However, this was several years ago and the phenomenom has still yet to catch on. It seems like phone companies think now is that time...

I'm not sure how this is going to go, but it would pretty neat, in theory. If theres a way to eliminate or decrease the risk of stalkers and theieves this new gps technology will have a huge impact on the social lives of teenagers and tweens everywhere. I know it would be much easier to turn on a tracker to let my friends know where i am and that i'm bored. I wonder who would show up....

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I can see how a cell phone tracker would create total stalkers and creeps. I bet if they had security settings where you could only allow 5 people (like the myfaves thing on tmobile) to track you, it would minimize weirdos. Just an idea.

I'm waiting for cell phone live video chat to be a standard thing on every phone...

Evan said...

I think a solution based on software that works on any phone rather than hardware will have a much better chance of catching on, like Yahoo! OneConnect. I don't know anyone who uses boost mobile, so it would be pointless to use that.

Anonymous said...

Boost prevents stalkers by only allowing people you proactively authorize to see your location. You can control thison the fly at any time.

This is a software solution and not specific to Boost hardware. Sprint has it on their phones and now Verizon does too. It is pretty nifty.

Abdul said...

I agree that a cell phone tracker would attract a lot of freaky stalkers. I remember a game on new Nokia phones (which is a common brand where I live) that shows something like a radar. But it's not just a game. It actually tells you how close or far people who have their Bluetooth open are to you.

Brian said...

Boost is awesome except i'm glad i didn't have that in high school when people like my parents and girlfriends were wondering where the hell I was. I'm actually real glad they didn't have that. I would not have enjoyed owning a cell phone. You can't lie to your parents with that one.